Easy Broccoli Soup
This Easy Broccoli Soup recipe is super easy and delicious. Even those who are not big fans of broccoli will enjoy this creamy, savory soup with a hint of nuttiness.
Yes, it is vegan/dairy-free, but feel free to modify the ingredients to suit your taste.
The addition of cashews provides a healthy plant-based alternative to adding cream, while lending a slightly creamy flavor and full-bodied texture. It's an excellent way to get more broccoli ~ one of the many 'super foods' in the plant kingdom ~ into your diet.
Broccoli Soup is an excellent way to increase your intake of fresh vegetables. You can consume a much greater volume of broccoli when prepared as a soup. No excuses with this Easy Broccoli Soup recipe!
Super Easy Broccoli Soup Recipe:
- About 4 cups veggie broth or water, divided
- 1/2 sweet or yellow onion, chopped
- 1-2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped (a white or yellow carrot will keep the color brighter green)
- 1 clove garlic, minced, optional
- 1lb.+ broccoli ~ peel & chop the stalks, and cut into small florets
- 1/4-1/3 cup cashews (can be soaked a few hours to overnight first)
- Sea salt & optional ground black pepper
- A pinch of star anise, and a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp.+ miso paste (darker misos will be more full flavored, and higher in sodium, a white miso will make for a brighter color)
- Add about 1/4 cup water to a pot, and turn to medium. Add onion, and let simmer until it begins to soften.
- Add celery, carrot, and optional garlic, and season with a little sea salt. Let simmer a couple minutes more, stirring as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add broccoli, cashews, star anise, and cayenne. Season with a bit more sea salt, and optional black pepper. Stir.
- Add broth. You want enough to just barely cover the broccoli for a more broccoli-dense soup, or more if you like a more broth-y soup.
- Bring to boil, then cover, and turn to medium-low, and let simmer about 15-20 minutes, until the broccoli is tender when pierced with a knife or a fork.
- Carefully ladle in batches as needed as much soup as you can blend at one time in your food processor or blender. Add miso paste. For darker miso paste, use about 1/2 tsp. or a bit more per cup as a rough measure. Blend for at least one minute. You don't have to blend all of it. Leave some of the broccoli florets whole if desired, but try to put all the cashews in the blender, picking them out with a spoon.
- Bring back to a low simmer, and do a taste test. Adjust if needed, adding a tad of hot sauce, or more seasoning as desired. Serve as is, or garnish with fresh chopped parsley, or sliced scallions.
This version was made with orange carrot creating a more orange-y color
Easy Broccoli Soup makes a great appetizer for a 'burger' type lunch ~ no matter what type of burger ~ as a moist, fluid-rich balance to the dry burger & bun combo. Served with a Pressed Cabbage Salad
The Easy Broccoli Soup recipe version in Basic Macrobiotic Menus & Recipes, uses left over, previously cooked brown rice instead of cashews to make a wonderful Creamy Broccoli Soup.
The recipe is very similar, using about 1/2-3/4 cup brown rice instead of cashews. For those wanting a low-fat soup, the rice is a great alternative.
Another variation is to add a little leftover cooked potato or sweet potato, or even tarot root which adds a nice creaminess. Use just half of a medium to large potato, or two small peeled tarot root tubers.
Broccoli Soup made with brown rice (instead of cashews), served with whole grain bread topped with Tofu Cream Cheese (recipe in my books) sautéed onions, and carrots cured to taste like lox.
Macrobiotic meal plans include soups on a near daily basis. They are good way to increase fluids in the diet naturally, and can be very beneficial for those desiring weight loss.
Our TYTN Diet Plan is an ancestral or produce-rich paleo diet that follows the principles of balance found in macrobiotics and Chinese medicine.
Soups prepare the digestive system for food, and can be a source of filling and satisfying creamy goodness when made with healthful ingredients.
They provide moisture, nutrients, and bulk, making soups excellent whether weight loss is a goal, or you tend to have either digestive issues such as constipation, or tend to have a Vata (dry) constitution
They can also satisfy sweets cravings when made with sweet vegetables, like carrots and winter squash, or are prepared simply with a touch of cashews, brown rice, or sweet potatoes.
Soups are excellent for pretty much everybody! This Easy Broccoli Soup helps elevate broccoli to an enjoyable comfort food! You may also enjoy the Creamy Cauliflower Soup Recipe variation.
Be sure to share which is your favorite way to prepare this delicious soup in the comments below!